Sunday, December 1, 2013

Palm Beach Post News: Artist finds beach litter, creates treasures.

TIKI TOM: One Man's Trash
His zany artwork – tikis, mosaics made from broken bottles, 
objects d’art – will be on exhibit at the 
ActivistArtistA Gallery
422 W. Industrial Ave. in Boynton Beach through Dec. 20.
Open by Appointment: 786-521-1199


Man transforms beach litter into works of art photo

TIKI TOM: One Man's Trash
His zany artwork – tikis, mosaics made from broken bottles, 
objects d’art – will be on exhibit at the 
ActivistArtistA Gallery
422 W. Industrial Ave. in Boynton Beach through Dec. 20.
Open by Appointment: 786-521-1199


Tom Bazinet at home in Lake Worth on Nov. 4, 2013 with one of his painted hubcaps and other art he 

Man transforms beach litter into works of art

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013

BY LINDA HAASE - SPECIAL TO THE PALM BEACH POST
MEET YOUR NEIGHBOR: Tom Bazinet, 53


Old hubcaps. Shattered bottles. Coconuts. Broken dolls. Shells. Newspaper. Discarded syringes.


Trash? Not to Tom Bazinet, who searches the beaches for litter that he transforms into treasured art. The 53-year-old Lake Worth resident not only helps keep the beaches clean, he nurtures his artistic spirit.
His zany artwork – tikis, mosaics made from broken bottles, objects d’art – will be on exhibit at the ActivistArtistA Gallery, 422 W. Industrial Ave. in Boynton Beach through Dec. 20.
The show, aptly called “One Man’s Trash,” is designed to be an arty, ecological wonderland. “Everywhere you look you will see things from the beach that have been made into art. It will be an ecological environment people can walk through. They’ll see there are uses for this stuff,” explains the Forest Hills High School grad.
“I like the fact that I have a different way to recycle. It makes me sad when I see all the trash on the beach and I get a lot of satisfaction when I take the trash away,” he says. “I found 100 syringes on the beach in one day. I used them to make a sun. The syringes became the rays.”
Even the former Marine’s “day job” is intertwined with his environmental art. He’s a tree trimmer and landscaper – and many of the discarded tree limbs and branches have been carved into ornamental tikis or totems.
Nothing ever goes to waste, he emphasizes: “I add plants to a lot of pieces. I love the way the plants become part of the art and it brings life back to the trunk.” (He carved a huge face in a decaying tree in front of a house at Third Avenue and Federal Highway in Lake Worth)
Bazinet, who was born at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Palm Beach, has even decorated his van with his artwork (it definitely draws attention from others, he admits).
He has always been passionate about art. “When was a kid I made macramé plant hangers. In high school I made jewelry from sea shells. I always wanted to be an artist,” he says.
These days, he’s branched out – even using dolls he finds washed up on the beach. “The first one I found, I put a plant in its head. Ever since I sold that piece, I have been making artwork with dolls. Some people think they are scary, but I sell a lot of them,” he says.
He’s discovered dive watches, soda bottle caps, doll legs – and other litter - on his hunts.
The one thing he’d like to find?
“A duffel bag full of money,” he quips.


No comments:

Post a Comment